Monday, June 28, 2010

Sumer Garden

This year we planted a summer garden. I haven't done any gardening since I was 10 years old or younger with my friend Mr. Townsend who lived behind us in the house I grew up in. So I must say that the joy of seeing our garden grow and the disappointment when something dies was a little unexpected. I find myself getting excited every time I find a cucumber even if I've already found three that day! So without further ado here are how things are looking at the moment.

We have been eating cucumbers almost daily and we make it a point not to throw any away so we are constantly looking for new recipes with cucumbers. (I think some of these pictures are funny because the vegetables look huge!)

The beginning of our Ichabod Eggplants. We can't wait for these to be ready to eat. I don't think it will be too much longer because I took this picture yesterday and this morning they are twice as big!



The Bell peppers are mere days away. These will find their way into a lot of suppers on our table as well as salsa that Molly is planning on making once a few other ingredients are ready.


Jalapenos! (for that spicy salsa)


Here is a look at some of our tomatoes. (nevermind the weeds)
Not sure if you can tell but one of the tomato plants is out of control!

From that out of control plant... These are Heirloom Sun Gold tomatoes. They stay small like a cheery tomato and the taste is like no other tomato I've ever put in my mouth!! Seriously! I never knew a tomato could have such a complex and wonderful taste!

I'll be honest, I don't remember what kind these are but I'm sure they'll be very good as well.


I love this picture of our little Roma tomatoes because it looks like they are wearing sombreros! I think it's very cool to see the different vegetables start to take their different shapes.


We also have a little bit of corn and some zucchini. I think the corn will do okay but we are struggling a little with the zucchini and I'm not sure why. More updates as things ripen and I'm sure Molly will have updates as things hit the table and the pans!

3 comments:

chloe said...

your garden is adorable! i'm really impressed. some suggestions...(non edible, of course) make bath soap with the cucumbers, or a chilled cucumber soup, or tzaziki sauce for greek gyros...and those tomatos you can't remember the names of look like perfect fried green tomatos.

Nathan said...

Tzaziki gets made pretty regularly around here and I've been eying those tomatoes for fried green tomatoes for a week or so... I'd like to try the cucumber soap thing that would be cool!

polly said...

The garden looks great!! Whether a garden is small or large, it still takes a lot of work!! You are doing a great job! Nothing like your own fresh grown veggies!!Yumm!