Sunday, April 4, 2010

Seat Progress...

There are several reasons why I decided to recover the seat on Molly's CB450:

It looked awful, the seat is obviously old worn and not that appealing, so off it came.

As you can see the seat foam made a wonderful home for some mice over the years.
(on a side note, I'm tired of mice!)

After getting rid of all the junk foam and padding and sandblasting the seat pan I was ready to reshape the pan a bit. Even though the bike is pretty small Molly is smaller! She doesn't quite touch the ground when standing up on the bike, so one of the things I'm doing to make the bike fit her is to narrow the front of the seat pan. This will let her stand up straighter when getting on and off and at lights so her feet are more comfortably on the ground.


I bought some seat foam on line and have some different density foam around the shop to use for the base. I'm going for a somewhat cafe style seat so hopefully that's what I'll end up with.


I cut the foam down the middle and glued the two half's together with some 3M foam adhesive. This way I got the thickness I was looking for without having to buy a 4 inch thick piece of foam. Cheap is the name of the game! I painted the bottom of the pan and glued on the foam. Using an electric kitchen knife I trimmed all the edges around the pan. Let me tell you, the electric knife is the way to go!! Later when I start to work on the final shape of the seat I'll use an electric grinder with a 120 grit sanding disc. This also works amazingly well!
You can see the part that I narrowed up in this picture...

So here is the basic shape with quite a bit left to do. I'm hoping to get a chance to finish it up in the next week or so. It may not look like much now but it's looking better than what the mice were working on.




this post dedicated to
my friend Erik
O.




No comments: