Friday, September 17, 2010

The Newest Member of the House Family

I am so thankful that I have a wife that has good taste and that we like so many of the same things!
In our quest for "all things vintage" we stumbled upon what became the newest member of our family. Well... stumbled may not be right, earnestly sought out might be closer. We both have always liked the old appliances and we were talking a few months ago and kinda decided that we ought to find one some time to replace our normal looking, non vintage, loud fridge. So the hunt was on! I would scan through craigslist almost daily finding incredible deals on incredible appliances... in New York...and California but not so many in North Carolina. One was finally posted in Winston-Salem which is about 1.5-2 hours from us. After many emails and a borrowed truck (Thanks Larry) we brought her home! Everything was in pretty good shape and worked great but needed a little paint and some cleaning.

The new old fridge as we got her. As far as I can tell it is an early '50's model.


Sanded and prepped for paint!

After a couple of coats...

Molly is demonstrating the difference in height and size of our current fridge on the left and our new fridge on the right.

Done and in action!

Very full. Our little freezer is pretty full as well.

I love the porcelain covered metal drawers for the vegetables and meats!

And what makes it even better is that it has a glass top/shelf so you can see whats inside without having to pull it out.

I was pretty excited about this bargain, total cost of new cool fridge...$155
I would be tempted to believe that just about everyone that has bought a new refrigerator in the last 15 years has replaced it but this one is still going strong and IT'S QUITE! I just hope I don't eat my words and have to replace anything anytime soon because I said that.
Now if I can only find an sweet old gas stove.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

great progress pics! love the filled fridge - great job!

polly said...

What a beauty!! Reminds me of our old fridge, that I would have to defrost!! Yep! They don't make things like they used too!! You did a fantastic job bringing her back to a respected member of the family!!

Melissa said...

had to look at the cute fridge again and happened to notice the sad, neglected chair you're sitting on. I think it wants a new lease on life VERY soon!

Nathan said...

It's on the list of things to do. I may be taking them apart this week. We'll see.