Sunday, December 7, 2008

Cold Weather Riding



Well, I finished my motorbike a while ago and have been riding pretty regularly even in the colder weather. I thought I'd give a little information about winter riding since every time I show up somewhere several people seem to ask me, "It's a little cold to be riding a motorcycle isn't it?" The truth is... YES!... but that doesn't deter me from riding anyway. I really do enjoy riding even if it's cold out, and the way I see it is we as a culture rarely experience any discomfort, I know that's true for me. That's not to say that riding in the bitter 20 degree weather is some sort of self empowering pilgrimage, but it has brought to the forefront of my mind that I have an awful lot to be thankful for even if it's something as simple as a car heater! It also got me thinking about how blessed I am when there are so many other people around the world that have so little and would look at any of us as fabulously wealthy! God has been generous and gracious to me in so many ways, ways I'm not even aware.

So, now onto a little about buzzing around on a motorcycle in 20 degree weather or less.
I'll start at the top; My helmet is a Zox brand full face helmet. These aren't the super high dollar helmets but it had really good reviews and was in the price range I was looking for. I also bought a highly reflective band called a "Halo" so hopefully that will help people see me when it's dark out i.e. to and from work. I also have a neoprene face mask to help keep my head warm and the wind from hitting my chin and neck. Chap stick is always a must as well.



I wear a Fieldsheer Corsair jacket that has a wind proof/waterproof inner jacket. I was a little surprised at how warm it is for being as thin as it is. It has ballistic hard padding in the shoulders, elbows/forearms, and down the back. This was a must for me when looking for a jacket because of the added level of safety. It is still necessary to wear a warm base layer underneath but not too much is needed just something long sleeve and a t-shirt usually does me fine.

As for gloves I chose Alpinestars' "Drystar Vega" they are a all season glove and are waterproof. I think I could have actually opted for a warmer pair because my fingers tips after about 30-40min start to get pretty cold. Another selling point of these gloves for me was the carbon fiber knuckle protection. Your hands are an often forgotten part to protect yet they many times can get pretty badly hurt if you were to lay the bike over or get into an accident. Come summer I will buy another pair of gloves just for warm weather.







As for pants I didn't spend allot of money for the real nice cold weather riding pants, instead I went to Burlington Coat Factory and bought a pair of ski pants. They were about $190 cheaper than if I had gone the other route! I have been real pleased and the lower half of my body hasn't even started to get cold since I began wearing these. They are also windproof and waterproof and have an rubbery elastic gator at the bottom of the cuff to keep the pant leg in place instead of riding up due to wind or riding position.
And as always I wear boots that are high on my ankles waterproof and made of leather. All of these things add protection and comforts when you have to shift with your toes.

2 comments:

Marissa said...

That last pic of the invisible motorbike man is hilarious!

Melissa said...

So, I still do my best not to think about you zipping around on that motorcycle, but I'm glad to know that you are putting so much thought into being safe.

LOVE Marissa's comment - the only thing that would have made the invisible motorbike man better is if he could have been photographed actually sitting on the bike.