Friday, December 12, 2008

Pockets O' Pita

I decided today to make something I've been want to make for some time now but haven't...pita bread! I wanted to try it some time ago but never did for some reason, then I was watching "Good Eats" with Alton Brown and he was explaining how they get the pockets in the middle (I never knew) which made me want to make them more so I finally set aside time today.

I made my dough and rolled it out. I actually had ten of them but I had to put the other ones on another tray.


They have a very short bake time of 8-10min at 500*. I sat on the floor in front of my oven and watched them rise , while one of my roommates laughed at me.

I was very happy to see that the pockets had done just what they were supposed to.

As for the filling I made a tuna fish salad type thing. (I'm not sure what to call it) I put 2 cans of tuna, chopped celery, mayo, shredded cheese, orange juice, salt and pepper. I know all that probably sounds awful but you should try it. Oh yeah, I topped it off with a Flying Dog porter. Porter's are definitely one of my favorite types of beer. I know that there are others that would go better with this meal but that's what I had, and it's way good!

4 comments:

Molly said...

I love fresh baked pita! You should try Naan bread too...

Brandy said...

Can't believe you made pita bread! Soooo impressed!!!!!!

Melissa said...

i am so glad your childhood desire to use your hands and make things progressed so nicely from trash and (LOTS of) tape to this!!

Nathan said...

yeah me too! Not a big demand for guys out there that tape stuff really well...